There is a lot of talk about how Gonzaga is just to good to beat this year. This is a game most people picked us to drop when looking at the early season schedule. That talk makes me sick. We have been the team to beat in WA the last two years, and I expect us to keep that going. Below are a few reasons why I like the Cougs wenesday (other than the fact i'm a die hard)
1. We have beat them the last two times, and almost beat them the time before that at home when freshmen Josh Akognon missed a jumper to win it. Point is, what we do works against them, regardless of how much “talent” they have.
2. Mark Few is known for his ability to get out coached in the second half of a ball game. Tony B. is known for making adjustments at half time and turning a game around. Our team also shows discipline in all facets of the game while Zags players have fro hawks.
3. Are they really THAT good? Sure they beat a Tennessee team that looks ok. Everyone else they have played looks awful average. We have played and lost to Baylor and Pitt, two teams that are in my opinion better than every team the Zags have faced so far. The Zags also rarely improve from their first to last game (see last 8 seasons) Our team is getting better every day, especially some of our key frosh.
4. Our defense. Remember last year how frustrated all their players were? Same guys out there this year. They have yet to face a team who grinds it out like we do. They did face an Indiana team who tried, and with no legit D 1 players were able to keep it close. I like us late in that second half when the crowd is rocking causing them to jack up fade away three’s.
5. Shaq Baynes. He is shooting 63% from the field this year and has faced the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and arguably the best defense in the country. Hytvelt is no match for him and they likely will just go into a zone. When they do expect our guys to be ready to shoot the lights out in their home gym.
6. Taylor really likes putting the dagger into the hearts of our in state rivals. I still have the ESPN highlights from last season on my DVR. He's also do for a good game, and what better time than Wednesday night at 7PM in Beasley?
Expect a battle, but expect a WSU win. Go Cougs.
This FanPost does not necessarily reflect the views of the site's writers or editors, who may not have verified its accuracy. It does, however, reflect the views of this particular fan, which is just as important as the views of our writers or editors.