"Their absence of bulk probably resulted in some of the injuries, and subsequent surgeries, that have trimmed the available roster." This sentence, written by a Seattle sports reporter speaks to the reason for this post.
This post is a follow up to an earlier CougCenter story regarding injuries to the current Cougar football squad.
I have gone back through the spring archives of Washington state newspapers and utilized Google to bring together a list of players either injured coming into
Spring practice or during the practice period. Additional information on injuries
was added in the form of numbered items (n) shown below the list. I have also used the 2009 Spring roster as a source, from the official site.
My intent was to bring together in one article enough information to allow readers to further consider the question poised by that previous article.
While my research has been considerable, I may have ommissions or errors in what is reported here. I would ask that if you see any, please post a reply and I will update the content.
It is worth repeating that Coach Wulff has said he thinks just about all the injured players will be cleared to go when fall workouts begin in early August, though most ( of the injured ) will miss at least part of the summer workouts.
JR* Beck, Myron(6) back problem
SO Bland, Louis(6) sprained knee, 2nd scrimmage, out for Spring practice
SO* Block, Eric chronic stomach ailment
JR* Danaher, Brian shoulder injury - off season surgery
SR* Feagin, Jesse non practice injuries during Spring practice, doing sideline weight drills
JR* Forzani, Johnny(10) practice injury
Guidry, Omari(8)(11) practice injury
JR* Hannam, Micah shoulder surgery, last December, missed Spring practice
SO* Hoffman-Ellis, Alex(5)(7)(9) practice injury
JR* Jones, Brandon(1) broken hand, week before Spring practice, returned to practice 3rd week
SR Kooyman, Kevin(2) strained back before practice start, suited up mid-April
SO Levenseller, JT Spring foot injury, missed Spring practice
SO* Lobbestael, Marshall knee injury from last season, rehab during Spring practice
JR* Luapo, Josh(2)(8)(11) non practice injuries during Spring practice, doing sideline weight drills
FR* MacKay, Cory non practice injuries during Spring practice, doing sideline weight drills
FR* Matthews, Jay shoulder
SR Mattingly, Andy arm injury, pertoral tear, 2nd week of Spring practice
FR* Pencer, Tyson shoulder injury - off season surgery
JR* Solomon, Jeffery recovering from back surgery
SR* Stripling, Jason shoulder injury
SR* Tardy, Dwight limited all last season due to a prior season knee injury
SR* Tatman, Zach missed last season, fractured left wrist
JR* Thomas, Shane(11) practice injury
JR* Turpin, Toby(4) Spring scrimmage injury - lower left leg
JR* Wolfgramm, Bernard missed all Spring practice, prior season back injury
Total: 25 current roster players
* = redshirted
(1) There was some good news on the injury front, with Jones cleared to play without the club-like bandage he had been using on his right hand.
(2) Defensive linemen Kevin Kooyman (back) and Josh Luapo (elbow) returned to full pads and participated in all drills.
(3) Receiver Jeffery Solomon, who underwent off-season back surgery, was out of the yellow, non-contact jersey for the first time in the spring.
(4) Defensive lineman Toby Turpin will miss the rest of the spring with a high ankle sprain suffered in Saturday’s scrimmage.
(5) Middle linebacker Alex Hoffman-Ellis will sit for a while after a knee injury suffered on Saturday flared up Monday.
2nd Spring scrimmage
(6) Besides Bland, senior Andy Mattingly is out with an arm injury, sophomore Alex Hoffman-Ellis is nursing a leg injury and junior Myron Beck is coming off back surgery.
(7) Middle linebacker Alex Hoffman-Ellis, who has missed the last week, said he would be undergoing surgery today to clean up his left-knee injury.
(8) Tackle Josh Luapo limping off at the end with an undetermined right ankle injury and backup linebacker Omari Guidry helped off in a cart.
(9) Middle linebacker Alex Hoffman-Ellis had his left knee scoped Wednesday and expects to back at workouts soon. Coach Wulff said he thinks just about all the injured players will be cleared to go when fall workouts begin in early August, though most will miss at least part of the summer workouts.
Final Spring scrimmage
(10) Receiver Johnny Forzani underwent surgery Friday, putting a screw in his foot to repair a small break. He should be back at the start of fall camp.
(11) Three more defensive players were hurt Thursday and didn't play in the scrimmage. Tackle Josh Luapo and linebacker Omaro Guidry suffered high ankle sprains while cornerback Shane Thomas hurt his leg.