It's no secret Stanford is a really good team while WSU is an...improving team. According to VegasInsider.com, Stanford is currently a 21-point favorite. However, despite what may seem like an inevitable loss, there are a few positives in this matchup for the Cougars.
- In 2009, Jared Karstetter caught three passes for 91 yards against Stanford. His only YPC average over 20.0 with at least three catches!
- Marquess Wilson's second highest receiving total came vs Stanford last season. And now he's even better!
- In four of his 30 career games, Andrew Luck has completed less than 50 percent of his passes and one of them was vs WSU in 2009!
- Dating back to last season, WSU is currently on a 14-0 scoring run vs Stanford. Surely that momentum will carry over!
CJ Mizell did this to Andrew Luck last season. Luck, worried about his pro career, will probably choose to sit this one out instead of risk a Mizell suplex.
First Look: Stanford at Washington State - Spokesman.com - Oct. 10, 2011
The Cougars have to bounce back from a tough road loss at UCLA and show they have built a foundation based on character. There are three possible outcomes: A nation-shocking upset; a close, competitive defeat; and a blowout loss. The first two would show WSU has developed the mettle it needs in the past year, the last one would be a step backward.
WSU starts prep for Stanford - SportsLink - Spokesman.com - Oct. 10, 2011
It's late, mainly because Washington State doesn't start its Monday practice until 7:30 but also because I had a couple of interviews to do after it was done. But we're done now and have a few notes. Read on.
College Football Power Rankings: Pac-12 | AthlonSports.com
9. Washington State (3-2, 1-1) – The Cougars were less than four minutes away from winning their fourth game of the season and starting 2-1 in Pac-12 play. However, UCLA back-up quarterback Kevin Prince tossed a go-ahead touchdowns with 3:26 left and Washington State went home from Westwood a loser. This weekend has been targeted as the return of starting quarterback Jeff Tuel after his Week One broken collarbone. Paul Wulff might have a tough decision to make as current signal-caller Marshall Lobbestael has averaged 335 yards per game in four starts with 13 touchdowns and four interceptions. It may not matter who starts at quarterback, however, as Stanford comes to town this Saturday.
Cougars Prepare for Homecoming Game Against No. 7 Stanford - The Washington State University Official Athletic Site
SATURDAY'S GAME: The Washington State University football team (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) returns to Pullman for the first time in more than a month when it hosts the No. 7 Stanford Cardinal (5-0, 3-0), Saturday, Oct. 15 at Martin Stadium. Gametime is set for 4:30 p.m. and will be televised on the Versus channel while also being heard across the IMG College Sports Radio Network. The Versus crew includes Ted Robinson (play-by-play), Glenn Parker (analyst) and Akbar Gbaja-Biamila (sidelines).
Weekend rewind: Pac-12 - Pac-12 Blog - ESPN
Best game: UCLA 28, Washington State 25. Beleaguered UCLA QB Kevin Prince came off the bench for an injured Richard Brehaut -- he was booed by his home fans as he entered the game -- and led the Bruins back from an eight-point fourth quarter deficit. He threw a go-ahead 7-yard touchdown pass -- his second of the game -- to Shaq Evans with 3:26 to play.
Finding Billy Edelin - Searching for Billy Edelin
Three year's after it was launched, the author of Searching for Billy Edelin spends an afternoon with the former Syracuse guard.
Howie Stalwick's Behind the 8-Ball: Thumbs to Lobbestael, Hawks, Sounders; thumbs down to NBA " Kitsap Sun
1. Class Act: Washington State quarterback Marshall Lobbestael is infinitely more mature, thoughtful and classy than your average college student — and maybe your average priest. Lobbestael has put together the best season of his life while filling in for Jeff Tuel, but all Lobbestael has done from the start is root for his good friend to return to health and take back the starting job. (And yes, Tuel is clearly the better quarterback, despite Lobbestael's fine play.) Lobbestael, a fifth-year senior from Oak Harbor, has talked about coaching high school football. His marvelous personality and perspective on life should help him develop into a great coach, role model, husband and father.
Stanford Travels to Washington State on Saturday - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site
The Game The Stanford Cardinal (5-0, 3-0 Pac-12 North) will look to extend the nation’s longest winning streak to 14 games on Saturday when it travels to Pullman, Wash., to meet the Washington State Cougars (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12 North). Kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. at Martin Stadium. Stanford is coming off a 48-7 victory over Colorado on Saturday, extending its winning streak to 13 games, tying a school record. Washington State is coming off a 28-25 loss at UCLA. The Cardinal is ranked 7th by AP and 5th in the USA Today Coaches polls this week.
Pac-12 Conference News and Notes
WASHINGTON STATE: The Cougars suffered their first league loss this past weekend, as they let one slip away against UCLA. Marshall Lobbestael led the way with 235 yards and two scores, and the majority of his passes went to Marquess Wilson, who finished with 83 yards on nine receptions. Rickey Galvin led the ground game for WSU, as the freshman rumbled for 88 yards. It does not get any easier for Washington State, whichwill now have the Stanford Cardinal coming to town this weekend.
Pac-12 Confidential | WSU-OSU game at Century Link now at night | Seattle Times Newspaper
Washington State's football game against Oregon State at Century Link Field Oct. 22 has been picked up (somewhat surprisingly) by Fox Sports Net and will be shown at 7:30 p.m.
Basketball to Hold Midnight Mayhem to Help Kick off Homecoming Weekend - The Washington State University Official Athletic Site
PULLMAN, Wash.- The Washington State University men's and women's basketball teams will hold Midnight Mayhem Friday, Oct. 14 at Bohler Gym for the third-straight year, to celebrate the official start of the 2011-12 season. Activities begin at 8 p.m., with doors opening at 7 p.m. Fans will receive glow sticks, while supplies last, and the first 300 spectators will each receive a free t-shirt.
Cougs face tough homecoming test | WSU Cougars - The News Tribune
The Washington State Cougars, in a bizarre scheduling quirk, play just one football game in Pullman between Sept. 10 and Nov. 12.
110 & Counting: WSU flag flies high on 'GameDay' | KPIC CBS 4 - News, Weather and Sports - Roseburg, OR | - Roseburg, Oregon | College
For 110-straight college football Saturdays 'Ol Crimson and Whitey' have been flying as a backdrop to the set of ESPN's College GameDay.
Pac-12 Confidential | Does Stoops firing crank the heat up on Paul Wulff? | Seattle Times Newspaper
So, to the question that brought you to this treatise: Does the example of Arizona make it tougher for Paul Wulff to keep his job at WSU? Surely, Wulff's detractors will point to Arizona and say, "There's a school that means business. And we're keeping a coach who's 8-34 in four years?"