Well, this game wasn't close. Oregon State scored three times in the 4th quarter (two FGs, one TD) to make the final score a somewhat respectable 45 - 22 WSU victory. This game was all WSU from the get go, though. QB Jeff Tuel was once again named Player of the Game, as well as Pac 12 Offensive Player of the Week, while racking up 450 yards of total offense to go along with 6 total TDs. WR Marquess Wilson is now WSU's career leader in receiving yardage, receptions, and is two TDs away from becoming the all-time leader in that category as well. Wilson is on pace to shatter his own single season record for yardage (1,388) and catches (82) that were set in 2011. With at least six more games (and probably seven), Wilson should destroy his own record and put it where no one can touch him. A 150 catch, 2,500 yard, 25 TD season is not out of the question. His current stats, through six games:
73 catches, 1,266 yards, 13 TDs. Yowza.
Tuel is putting on a show as well, amassing roughly 600 yards more than the guy in 2nd place (2,451 yards thus far, to go along with 26 TDs). As usual, Tuel was the team's leading rusher. He's also the only player with more than one rushing TD on the season.
Jeff Tuel: 28/45, 409 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs, L43, 2 sacks
Connor Halliday: 0/3, 0 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
Jeff Tuel: 14 carries, 51 yards, 1 TD
Rickey Galvin: 5 carries, 29 yards
Carl Winston: 2 carries, 11 yards
Connor Halliday: 1 carry, 8 yards
Max Hersey: 1 carry, 3 yards
Marquess Wilson: 15 catches, 224 yards, 3 TDs, L43
Bobby Ratliff: 6 catches, 118 yards, 1 TD, L36
Andrei Lintz: 3 catches, 18 yards
Max Hersey: 1 catch, 31 yards
Kristoff Williams: 1 catch, 10 yards
Gino Simone: 1 catch, 6 yards
Rahmel Dockery: 1 catch, 2 yards, 1 TD
Eric Oertel: 10 tackles, 4 solo, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 2 deflections, 1 FF
Kache Palacio: 6 tackles, 4 solo, 1.5 sacks
Travis Long: 4 tackles, 2 solo, 0.5 sacks
Anthony Laurenzi: 3 tackles, 0 solo, 0 sacks, 1 INT lolololol
Logan Mayes: 1 tackle, 0 solo, 0 sacks :(
The Tyree Club:
0 tackles, 0 INTs, 0 deflections, 0 FF, 0 FR, 0 safeties, 1 hot dog with French's yellow mustard
Around the Pac 12:
Utah 42, USC 21
Oregon 38, UW 13
UCLA 52, Cal 23
Arizona 35, Stanford 7
Intramurals 6, BYE 35
Text Message Goodbyes 21, BYE 22
Other Interesting Tidbits:
- Jeff Tuel is now 5th in the race for the Heisman Trophy, and the only QB. The four above him are all RBs.
- To put MQW's ridiculous numbers into some perspective, Bobby Ratliff is the team's 2nd leading receiver. He has 26 catches, 434 yards, and 4 TDs. Wilson has triple the amount of all of those.
- MQW's 13 TDs tie him withfor most TD catches in a season. He should break that next week against Cal.
- Since Wilson is still an active player, EA Sports lists WSU's single season receiving yardage record as 1,180. Brandon Gibson's single season record was good until Wilson surpassed it last year (1,388).
- Oregon State scored one TD, but kicked 5 FGs. That's pretty much the most Mike Riley thing ever.
- I can't help but think all five field goals were extremely polite and courteous field goals.
- Oregon is now the #1 team in the nation. Undefeated Utah, which just stomped USC, is ranked #15. USC, who just got stomped by Utah, is ranked #14. Makes sense!
- UCLA put up 52 points hahahaha ok but seriously
- Oregon, Utah, and UCLA are all tied for 1st in the Pac 12. I could figure out tie breakers but instead I'll eat the rest of this pudding cup.
- Tyree Toomer accrued no stats, which, bahahahahahaha.
- Anthony Laurenzi has more interceptions than Tyree Toomer.
- No joke to steal from Mark this week, so instead, here's this:
In hindsight, dropping $9 at a Taco Bell the day before a 6 hour drive to Pullman was probably a poor decision.— Mark Sandritter (@MarkSandritter) April 18, 2012