This only applies to those of you playing in the CougCenter Pick'Em Pool. If that's you, please click and read after the jump.
When I threw up the first post inviting people to play in this game with us, here's what I wrote about tiebreakers: "Ties for the weekly winner will be broken using Yahoo's default tiebreaker." I thought I knew what that meant. Turns out, I did not.
Sparing you the details, let's just say I screwed up in applying the tiebreaker last week -- simply because I didn't understand how Yahoo! applied it. I thought it was one thing, but it's actually another. So, officially, here is how "Yahoo's default tiebreaker" works (which I had to search deep in the recesses of their help database to find):
Each week, Yahoo! Sports will select two games to be designated "Tiebreak Games."
In any week where two or more players finish with the same number of points, the following tie-breakers are used in this order until the tie is broken:
- Closest to the total points for the first Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the home team points for the first Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the road team points for the first Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the total points for the second Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the home team points for the second Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the road team points for the second Tiebreak Game.
- Closest to the school whose team scores the most points.
- Closest to the school whose team scores the least points.
- Whichever user had more points in the previous week (or the week before that if still tied, etc.).
You'll be able to determine each weekly winner by looking at the Weekly Performance page, where the person winning the week will be shown in bold.
Obviously, to anyone who paid attention (namely, johnnycougar), this is not how I was calculating it. I made an assumption, and it was wrong -- this past week, johnnycougar should have been the weekly winner. I'll make it right with him, and the winner I announced can also keep his prize.
Moving forward, ties will be solved the aforementioned way, and we'll know who the winner is because Yahoo will bold that person's score in green. Luckily, I got the week 2 winner right by coincidence, and there was no tie in the first week. Whew.
If you have any questions, let me know in the comments.