Washington has now scored 17 unanswered points after kicking a field goal to go up 20-10 in the third quarter of the Apple Cup.
Once again, the Huskies rode Bishop Sankey to points. Sankey picked up 20 yards on the drive and converted a crucial third down with an 11-yard run on 3rd-and-7. The big play of the drive came early on when Keith Price hit Kevin Smith for a 23-yard gain along the sideline. Smith's foot appeared to hit the sidelines before landing in bounds, but Pac-12 referees chose not to review the call, allowing the play to stand.
It appeared Washington would cap the drive off with a touchdown, but the Huskies chose to throw on a 3rd-and-short, possibly gifting the Cougars a defensive stop. Travis Coons connected on a 39-yard field goal to put Washington up 10.
The Huskies dominated the third quarter, outscoring WSU 17-0 in the quarter, similar to the 2012 Apple Cup. WSU mounted an epic comeback then and we'll have to see if the Cougars have another rally in them this year.
- Apple Cup 2013: Preview and game thread for 106th WSU vs. UW football battle
- Apple Cup 2013: Deone Bucannon anchors the defense
- Apple Cup 2013: Previews, game time, TV schedule, score, odds and more
- Apple Cup 2013: Baxter's beer of the game
- WSU vs. Purdue basketball final score: Cougs beat Purdue at Old Spice Classic, 69-54