Befitting a game in which WSU became bowl eligible for the first time since 2006, there were a lot of other "first time since" accomplishments in the Cougars' 49-37 win over Utah on Saturday.
Via WSU Athletic Communications:
- First time winning four conference games since 2006
- First consecutive conference wins since 2006
- Most points scored in a conference game since 2003 (49; previously 55 vs. Oregon)
- Most points scored in a half of a conference game since 2003 (33; previously 38 vs. Oregon)
Of course, we also knew that a lot of passing records would fall in the Mike Leach regime, and Connor Halliday passed another significant milestone: He now has 50 passing TDs, which surpasses Drew Bledsoe for fifth all time at WSU. In case you're wondering, Jack Thompson is next at 53.
I'm sure the Throwin' Samoan wouldn't mind seeing that particular record fall next week.
One record that almost surely will fall next week, barring some sort of freak injury? Ryan Leaf's single-season total. Halliday is now just 63 yards behind Leaf's 1997 season, when he threw for 3,968.
How fitting it would be for Halliday to break the record in a win at the site of Leaf's greatest victory.
Via WSU Athletic Communications
- WSU had 10+ receivers record a catch for the ninth straight game, had 10+ receivers catch a pass in 10 games this season
- First time WSU had returned two interceptions for touchdowns in the same game since 2009, Alex Hoffman Ellis (52) and Myron Beck (67) against SMU (9/29/09)
- WSU scored 21 points in the 1st quarter for the first time since 2011, scoring 23 against Idaho State
- Marcus Mason's 50-yard run was the longest by WSU since his 65-yard TD against Idaho State in 2011
- Halliday recorded his 13th career 300-yard game, most in WSU history
- Halliday owns five career 400-yard games, tied with Alex Brink for most in school history
- Halliday has completed 380 passes this season, most in WSU single-season history, seven away from the Pac-12 record
- Halliday's 597 pass attempts this season are the most in Pac-12 and WSU single-season history
- Deone Bucannon made six tackles, has 102 for the season, first Cougar since Billy Newman (1999-2000) to post back-to-back 100-tackle seasons
- Bucannon upped his career total to 372, fourth-most in WSU history
- Andrew Furney made three field goals to up his career total to 45, pushing him past John Traut for third-most in school history
- Furney's 52-yarder was a season-long
- Dom Williams caught his fifth and sixth TD passes of the season, now owns nine in his career
- Williams posted his fourth career 100-yard game, second this season
- Damante Horton owns the WSU single-season record with three INT returns for TDs
- Horton recorded his fourth career INT return for a TD, most in school history (Jason David had three)
- Horton owns five INT this season and nine in his career
- Locker recorded his third career INT, first this season
- Marcus Mason caught his second TD of the season, third of his career
- Vince Mayle caught his sixth TD pass of the season
- Justin Sagote matched a career high with 13 tackles, his second straight game with double digit tackles
- Tana Pritchard made his first career start, made three tackles and broke up a pass
- Marcus Mason's 88 rushing yards are the most since Rickey Galvin's 88 yards at UCLA in 2011