Depth charts in college football don't necessarily mean much. If they weren't required to put them out, few if any, coaches would do so. Some coaches don't even handle the depth chart and it's instead a manager or someone in sports information throwing it together.
#USC coach Lane Kiffin says the depth chart "doesn't mean anything." He says he put "about five seconds of thought into it."— USC Football News (@USCFootballNews) August 25, 2013
With that in mind, let's take a closer look at WSU' two-deep for Auburn which was released on Tuesday.
LG: Joe Dahl, Matt Goetz
C: Elliot Bosch, Zach Brevick
- The first thing that jumps out to me is Isiah Myers starting at X. Myers spent last season at Z, but he and Kristoff Williams swapped positions recently. Myers is currently listed ahead of Dom Williams, so it may be wise to pump the brakes a bit on the Dom Williams and Vince Mayle hype. They will likely still play, but Myers is the starter ... at least on paper.
- True freshman River Cracraft is going to play and he's listed as the starting Y receiver. From all accounts, Cracraft had a great camp and consistently earned praise from Mike Leach and others. Bobby Ratliff is listed as the backup with Robert Lewis not on the depth chart.
- The offensive line is essentially what we expected it would be. Riley Sorenson is the only true freshman in the two-deep and he's currently slotted as the No. 2 right guard. He spent time at left and right tackle during camp. Of the 10 offensive linemen listed, five have never played a snap for WSU in a game.
DT: Toni Pole, Darryl Paulo
- This is almost exactly what we've expected throughout fall camp. So no real surprises.
- Jared Byers, at least for now, has held onto the No. 2 job at middle linebacker. Freshman Peyton Pelluer and sophomore Jeremiah Allison have yet to unseat him.
- Only two true freshman are listed in the defensive two-deep with Daquawn Brown and Charleston White both likely to be in the mix at cornerback.
- Logan Mayes is probably the most notable name missing. He moved to defensive end this offseason, but isn't listed on the depth chart. That doesn't mean he won't play, but he may at least start the season in more of a situational role.
- BUCK linebacker Ivan McLennan is also absent with Destiny Vaeao and Kache Palacio the two BUCK linebackers. As Mayle and McLennan show, it's hard for junior college transfers to make an immediate impact.
P: Mike Bowlin, Wes Concepcion
KR: Teondray Caldwell, Marcus Mason
PR: Leon Brooks, Brett Bartolone
- This is essentially identical to WSU's depth chart last season.
- Leon Brooks continues to hold down the punt return job, despite WSU trying multiple players there this offseason. In 2013, there will be fair catches.
More from CougCenter:
- The CougCenter video preview of the Auburn Tigers
- Meet Jeff Tuel: An owners manual for your new NFL quarterback
- Cougars begin final preparations for Auburn
- The CougCenter Hour: Cougs open the season at Auburn; Jeff Tuel gets his shot
- WSU Football Recruiting: OL Jordan Rose, LB Frank Luvu commit to Mike Leach