Basketball finally arrived on the Palouse with Midnight Mayhem in Bohler Gym. In front of a packed house, the men's and women's basketball teams put on a show tonight and gave us a glimpse of things to come.
The format consisted of a men's and women's three point contest, an eight minute scrimmage and dunk contest to cap the night off. It was entertaining from start to finish and well worth the time.
- The women get top billing tonight. They put on a show and deserve some love for the work they put in.
- The ladies have some shooters this year. Shooting from the men's three-point line, freshman Sage Romberg showed-off a sweet stroke and was raining threes. That continued in the scrimmage later in the night.
- The size June Daugherty recruited up front was evident in the scimmage. 6'8 Jessica Oestreicher is healthy and used her exception size as an advantage. Her footwork may need some work, but simply having that size down low can't hurt. Carly Noles and Hana Potter also played in the low-post and did well.
- Jazmine Perkins can flat play. Shes quick, smooth and can drive to the hole and finish. Perkins was fun to watch run the point and strung together some effortless passes that were right on the money.
- I watched Katie Grad play in high school and came away impressed. Tonight, she showed an ability to slash, pass and finish in traffic. A back-court of Grad and Perkins should be a fun one to watch.
- Daughtery's girls can get out and run. They were up and down the court in the scrimmage and showed no hesitation driving the lane. They all showed off excellent vision and passing in transition, making for an exciting game
- Want to know about the men? Read on after the jump.