There's a new No. 1 this week in my college football rankings, as well as new Nos. 2-8. It was a fun weekend full of upsets and that shook up the my excel spreadsheet. South Carolina has risen to the top spot after its beatdown of Georgia.
Oregon has fallen from the top spot all the way to No. 5. Not every day you see a team win by 31 and drop in the rankings, but it appears the Ducks are getting hurt by their strength of schedule. That will get better as the season goes along when they play more Pac-12 teams.
The strangest pair of rankings from the week come from Texas Tech and Oklahoma. The Sooners beat the Red Raiders by three touchdowns this weekend, but Tech is at No. 12, while OU is back at No. 23. Texas Tech is still living off that margin of victory they had in the non-conference schedule. If they keep losing, they will fall.
For an explanation of how the rankings are calculated, go here.
5. Oregon - see above
19. Arizona State - The Sun Devils are quietly having a good year, and they will probably move to 5-1 when they face Colorado on Thursday. Because they play Colorado, they probably will drop in the rankings, unless a lot of other teams lose.
21. Stanford - Surprising offensive effort from the Cardinal gets them past Arizona and two spots higher. Josh Nunes for Heisman? Big test coming this weekend against Notre Dame.
25. Oregon State - The Beavers take a big drop from No. 15. Playing Washington State and not winning by very much will do that to you.
29. USC - The Trojans are creeping up. They don't win by much, but as long as they keep winning they will start showing up in the top 25 again.
47. UCLA - Took a beating in Berkeley, but still has a decent record and margin. But still, more like the Ruins, amirite?
54. Arizona - This might be the best 0-3 Pac-12 team ever. They get a week off to prepare for Washington. Feel free to crush them, Wildcats.
65. Washington - Nice strength of schedule boost this weekend!
72. Utah - The season isn't going as planned for the Utes, who are off to an 0-2 start after getting destroyed by ASU and blowing an early lead to USC.
77. Cal - Figured the Golden Bears had one of those games in them. Let's just hope they don't have another.
103. WSU - We lost by less this weekend!
119. Colorado - They were off this weekend to prepare for the Thursday match-up with ASU. They may be hoping that ESPN forgets to show up.
And finally, my ballot:
CougCenter Ballot - Week 6
|1||South Carolina Gamecocks||3|
|2||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||6|
|3||Alabama Crimson Tide||-1|
|4||Ohio St. Buckeyes||9|
|7||Kansas St. Wildcats||-2|
|8||West Virginia Mountaineers||6|
|9||Mississippi St. Bulldogs||--|
|10||Florida St. Seminoles||-4|
|12||Texas Tech Red Raiders||-2|
|14||Texas A&M Aggies||--|
|15||Tulsa Golden Hurricane||9|
|19||Arizona St. Sun Devils||-1|
|20||Iowa St. Cyclones||--|
|24||Louisiana Tech Bulldogs||--|
|25||Oregon St. Beavers||-10|
|Dropouts: Nebraska Cornhuskers, UCLA Bruins, Northwestern Wildcats, TCU Horned Frogs, Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners|
SB Nation BlogPoll College Football Top 25 Rankings "