Sometimes the headlines just write themselves, guys.
The Cougs allowed an early TD before scoring 48 unanswered points en route to a 48 - 7 drubbing of the FCS NorthWest Eagles. Obviously the FCS team is fictional, but it's kind of funny that they're named the Eagles. I'm confident we'll beat Eastern, but I don't know if it'll be 48 - 7. I mean, if the defense plays well, then sure, but Tyree Toomer is still a player on our defense.
Jeff Tuel earned Pac 12 and National Player of the Week honors after a bonkers performance that saw him throw for six touchdowns and nearly 500 yards. He also rushed for an even 100 just for funsies. All in all, Tuel put up a total of 582 yards. Backup QB Connor Halliday saw almost no time this week, completing only 2 passes for 44 yards. Star WR Marquess Wilson was his usual amazing self, and is leading the nation in receiving heading into Week 3.
Not much to talk about, really. Just a good, old fashioned whoopin'. I guess the surprises would be Tyree Toomer scoring on an 18-yard fumble recovery caused by Daniel Simmons, who also had a helluva game (1 INT, 3 deflections, 1 FF). Andrei Lintz scored on a 76-yard pass from Tuel which, wait, what? How did he not get tackled? I guess the biggest surprise was Mansel Simmons huge day.
Jeff Tuel -- 24/40, 482 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, L76, 1 sack
Connor Halliday -- 2/5, 44 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, L31, 1 sack
Jeff Tuel -- 16 carries, 100 yards
Carl Winston -- 9 carries, 53 yards
Rickey Galvin -- 4 carries, 11 yards
Connor Halliday -- 1 carry, -6 yards
Marquess Wilson -- 10 catches, 195 yards, 3 TDs, L47, 1 drop
Mansel Simmons -- 7 catches, 119 yards, 1 TD, L53
Bobby Ratliff -- 3 catches, 57 yards, 1 TD, L28
Andrei Lintz -- 2 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD, L76
Kristoff Williams -- 2 catches, 51 yards, L38
Isiah Myers -- 1 catch, 6 yards
Max Hersey -- 1 catch, 6 yards
Gino Simone -- 0 catches, 0 yards, 2 drops
Deone Bucannon -- 6 tackles, 3 solo, 1 FF
Anthony Laurenzi -- 3 tackles, 1 solo, 1 sack
David Davis -- 3 tackles, 1 solo, 1 sack
Logan Mayes -- 3 tackles, 1 solo, 1 sack
Travis Long -- 2 tackles, 1 solo, 1 sack, 1 FF
Daniel Simmons -- 1 tackle, 0 solo, 1 INT, 3 deflections, 1 FF
Around the Pac 12:
Utah 45, Utah State 0
USC 28, Syracuse 23
Colorado 58, FCS W 10
UCLA 47, Nebraska 35
Cal 56, FCS W 3
Stanford 38, Duke 0
Arizona 31, Oklahoma State 10
Oregon 41, Fresno State 14
Washington 38, LSU 20
Illinois 38, Arizona State 24
Wisconsin 38, Oregon State 3
Other Interesting Tidbits:
- LSU was the #2 team in the nation, but UW rolled them. The Tigers scored twice late in the 4th quarter, or the Huskies would have won by even more. I understand this is a video game, but c'mon. The weight they put on offense is rather silly.
- The Huskies are currently ranked 23rd.
- For the second week in a row, two players finished with one catch for six yards, while another player had zero catches but multiple drops (lol Gino). If this happens again against UNLV, I call shenanigans, EA Sports.
- Andrew Furney missed 1 FG last week and another this week. He also missed a PAT. Perhaps I should have made Mike Bowlin.
- As I said earlier, Marquess Wilson's 408 yards receiving leads the nation. Jeff Tuel's 783 passing yards comes in 2nd behind Texas Tech's Seth Doege (880). Mike Leach recruited Doege.
Remember, if you want rosters, go here. For a detailed explanation of what this is, go here. See you Monday. Go Cougs!