Wow. I figured the Cougs were going to lose this game, but this is absolutely heart-breaking. Going into halftime, WSU led Utah 33-6. That's right, somehow, the Cougs had a 4 touchdown lead. It didn't really matter, though, because the Utes would go on to score 28 unanswered points. Utah QB Jordan Wynn would find WR Reggie Dunn for a 16-yard TD with just 0:35 seconds left to play. After the successful point after, Utah took the lead 34-33. The loss is only the 2nd on the year for the Cougs who are still in prime position to win the North division. Utah remains undefeated and with losses by both Texas and TCU find themselves as the new #1 team in the land. Congrats, Utah, you jerks.
The huge halftime lead was a bit of a fluke, as Utah out-gained WSU on offense 486-257. This marks the first time all season the Cougs have failed to reach 300 yards in a game. Hopefully the Cougs will right the ship next week as UCLA comes into town losers of three straight.
Jordan Wynn put up 328 yards and 4 TDs, while being named POTG for the Utes. Wynn also used this performance to jump all the way from unranked to #2 in the Heisman Race. Jeff Tuel's "meh" performance dropped him from 2nd to 4th. Even Marquess Wilson looked human today. Moral of the story? Utah's defense is pretty good.
Jeff Tuel: 21/33, 245 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, L48, 5 sacks
Jeff Tuel: 15 carries, -1 yard
Rickey Galvin: 3 carries, 6 yards
Carl Winston: 2 carries, 7 yards
Marquess Wilson: 9 catches, 104 yards, 1 TD
Andrei Lintz: 5 catches, 46 yards, 1 TD
Bobby Ratliff: 3 catches, 61 yards
Gino Simone: 2 catches, 18 yards
Carl Winston: 1 catch, 14 yards
Rahmel Dockery: 1 catch, 2 yards, 1 TD
Jake Rodgers: 1 pancake block, 4 sacks given up
Eric Oertel: 11 tackles, 2 solo, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FF, 1 FR
Chester Su'a: 9 tackles, 7 solo, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 2 defelections, 1 FF, 0 FR
Travis Long: 9 tackles, 4 solo, 1.5 sacks
Deone Bucannon: 8 tackles, 2 solo, 0.5 sacks, 0 INTs, 2 deflections, 0 FF, 1 FR
Cyrus Coen: 2 tackles, 1 solo, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 1 defelection, 0 FF, 0 FR, 1 safety
Nolan Washington: 0 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT (returned 46 yards for TD)
Around the Pac 12:
Colorado 36, Stanford 30
Arizona 28, UCLA 21
Arizona State 31, Oregon State 24
UW 42, Cal 31
USC 27, Oregon 24
Maxwell Award (Best Player)
Jeff Tuel, 1
Marquess Wilson, 2
Walter Camp Award (Player of the Year)
Marquess Wilson, 1
Jeff Tuel, 3
Davey O'Brien Award (Best QB)
Jeff Tuel, 1
Biletnikoff Award (Best WR)
Marquess Wilson, 1
Mackey Award (Best TE)
Andrei Lintz, 10
- After starting 6-0, UCLA has now lost the past three weeks. They visit Pullman next week, which in real life is November 10th, aka my wedding day. Win one for the Gipper, guys.
- The Huskies snapped a 5 game losing streak by beating down Cal. Keith Price returned sooner than I thought (I thought it said he was out until the Apple Cup, but I guess not) and accounted for over 400 yards and 4 TDs.
- Cal has now lost 7 in a row. Yikes.
- Oregon has now lost 3 in a row after being undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation. win the day!
- Stanford has lost 2 in a row, and 4 out of their last 5.
- Oregon losing drops them to 6-3, but they still own the tie breaker over the Cougs. We have to play UCLA, @Arizona State, and against UW in the Apple Cup. A rematch with Utah in the Pac12 title game is a definite possibility, but let's not count our chickens.
- If you use the forbidden phrase (the one the references the Cougars not holding on after having a lead), you will see time in the penalty box. That phrase is banned for a reason.
- The Cougs were still in the "Others Receiving Votes" category of the Top 25, coming in at #27 after a hard fought loss to the best team in the nation. A win against UCLA at home next week should catapult them into the rankings. Finally.
Probably the best tweet I've seen in a long, long time:
Moment of silence for Kathi Goertzen at Safeco Field last nite. M's rally in 9th to win. Today Felix throws perfect game. I'm just saying.— Dan Lewis (@DanLewisNews) August 15, 2012
Remember, if you want rosters, go here. For a detailed explanation of what this is, go here. See you Monday. Go Cougs!