The Washington State men's basketball team will wrap up it's non-conference schedule down in Honolulu for the Diamond Head Classic this December. This tournament features eight teams playing three games spread out over four days with the champions crowned on Christmas Day.
With a cupcake non-conference schedule against teams such as Northern Arizona, Idaho State, and Portland, the Cougars will be heading down to Hawaii with some momentum; they should be able to go 7-2 or possibly 8-1 in their first nine games. The team's play during the tourney will certainly be used as a checkpoint in how the rebuild of the program is going. On paper, Washington State is the worst team in the field for the tournament with the Auburn Tigers a close second and the rebuilding New Mexico Lobos a distant third. The remaining five teams are conference championship-caliber programs. These include:
- Northern Iowa Panthers, winners of the Missouri Valley Conference in 2015
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, runner-ups in the Big West Conference tournament in 2015
- Harvard Crimson, winners of the Ivy League regular season title in 2015
- Oklahoma Sooners, advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in 2015
- BYU Cougars, advanced to the First Four as the #11 seed in 2015