There once was a time in Washington State Cougars history where fans would try their best to find six wins on the schedule the summer leading into the season. Now, a minimum of six games and a bowl game are expected. But back when it wasn’t, the Oregon State game was pegged as a win in most seasons. Not always, mind you, but often.
I wish I could circle tonight’s game as a sure win, but these aren’t your older siblings’ Oregon State Beavers, and these aren’t the Cougs of 2015-2018. Both the Cougs and the Beavers enter tonight needing a win to make a bowl game, in case you haven’t heard. Both have formidable opponents next week, so tonight seems like a loser-out game.
In the past, we would be feeling quite comfortable today. But given the season we’ve had, and the resurgence of Oregon State, it’s much more complicated.
Let’s recap the lead-up to tonight:
- Emma shares a tale from her Oregon roots and tells you why a good crowd is important.
- Jesse looks at former WSU commit Isaiah Hodgins and how he slices defensive secondaries.
- Craig introduces you to the Oregon State Beavers.
- Michael says the WSU family is the most important person tonight, and not only because of the seniors in tonight’s game.
- Podcast vs. Everybody previews the game.
Now you’re all caught up. Let’s go.
Three Bold Predictions
- Max Borghi backs up his guarantee with three total touchdowns. Then, he’ll guarantee an Apple Cup victory, a bowl game victory, a 2020 national championship, and announce his run for Pullman City Council (and he’ll guarantee a win in that race, too). He can do it all.
- The Pac-12 Network announcers will remind viewers that Isaiah Hodgins was a one-time WSU commit at least three times. In the first quarter.
- Anthony Gordon ties Jake Browning’s and Jared Goff’s record of 43 touchdown passes in a season before halftime. He’ll then break Gardner Minshew’s conference record of 4,779 passing yards before the night is over.
Misi: The longest name on Washington State’s roster also represents one of the longest journeys in college football | The Spokesman-Review
If Aiolupotea-Pei’s story was adapted for a major motion picture, there’d almost be too many supporting actors to cast. If the film won an award, the defensive lineman would be run off the stage by music while delivering his speech – too many thanks to go around.
Oregon State Beavers vs. Washington State football: Preview, matchups, notes, how to watch - oregonlive.com
Bowl eligibility is the stakes for the winner of Saturday night's contest in the Palouse
College football schedule, games 2019: What to watch in Week 13, TV channels, Saturday kickoff times - CBSSports.com
Big Ten and Big 12 battles headline the penultimate week of the regular season
How conference title game upsets could flip the College Football Playoff
Ready for a little playoff chaos? The Allstate Playoff Predictor breaks down what could happen in each Power 5 league.
Two-minute drill: Keys to victory for Washington State against Oregon State | The Spokesman-Review
The keys to a potential victory for Washington State against Oregon State Saturday at Martin Stadium.
Washington State won’t rely on crowd’s energy in crucial home finale against Oregon State | The Spokesman-Review
Five or six times every fall, the Cougars see the built-in advantages of playing football in a traditional college town, where students drive the energy, passion, noise and enthusiasm that have helped make Washington State such a tough team to overcome at Martin Stadium.
Once more, with feeling:
Upset for the Ages - Washington State University Athletics
The Cougs upset the No. 1 seed, Virginia, 3-2, to advance to the sweet 16.